When we first met Alyssa Lau she was splitting her time between a biochemistry lab and an addictive style blog called Ordinary People. Today, the Edmonton-based creative director continues to rule the web and is now at the helm of a fast-growing online boutique dedicated to sustainable style, stocking sought-after labels like Kowtow, Shaina Mote, Samuji and more. Earlier this year we chatted about what it means to #wearthechange (make sure you read that here), so, in preparation for Fall, this time we’re talking Netflix binges, winning outfits and playlists.
There’s a little piece of fashion heaven in Edmonton. Coup Boutique is stocked with cool-kid labels and designers we dare you to find anywhere else.
Since opening their doors in 2010, the gorgeous boutique garnered a fast following in the city and abroad. Last year owner Anna McDonough added a visit to Tokyo to her regular buying trips to Paris and New York when the store was picked as the only Canadian retailer (one of the three from North America) to be invited as a guest to the Japan External Trade Organization. We’ve got a serious girl crush.
There’s nothing ordinary about style blogger Alyssa Lau. When she’s not posting amazing outfits and photos to her addictive fashion blog Ordinary People, she works at a Biochemistry lab in her hometown of Edmonton. We can only imagine what she could do with a lab coat. We love everything about the way she puts clothes together, so obviously we had to feature her for We Love. Because we really do.
WE WANNA KNOW ABOUT YOU. DO TELL.
I’m a 22-year old Chinese-Canadian style blogger from Edmonton, Alberta, who, originally with my cousin, discovered the infinite vastness of the blogging world three years ago. When I’m not blogging, I’m either: a) working in a Biochemistry lab as a research assistant, b) playing video games, c) snuggling with my pup, or d) working as a sales associate at Coup Boutique (phew!).
WE LOVE YOUR STYLE. DO YOU FEEL LIKE IT’S ALWAYS CHANGING?
My style has always been dynamic in that it constantly changes according to what inspires me.
WHAT’S YOUR FAVOURITE COLOUR?
FAVOURITE GIRLS CHARACTER?
I feel kind of ashamed to say this, but I’ve never watched GIRLS!
WHAT ARE YOUR FAVOURITE PIZZA TOPPINGS?
I’m not picky, but as long as a pizza has mushrooms, I’m a happy camper.
WHICH SEASON DO YOU LOVE DRESSING FOR THE MOST?
Spring and summer, since we get too much of winter over here in Edmonton.
NAME A SONG YOU CURRENTLY HAVE ON REPEAT IN YOUR HEAD
RAC – Cheap Sunglasses (Ft. Matthew Koma)
WHAT WOULD YOU DO WITH 1 MILLION DOLLARS?
This is probably one of the most boring answers, but I’d probably invest 95% of it and spend the remaining 5% on whatever my heart desires.
TELL US WHICH FASHION BLOGGERS YOU LIKE TO FOLLOW
They all have such different styles but they keep on inspiring me with every post.
ANY ADVICE FOR ASPIRING FASHION BLOGGERS?
Do it because you love it and not because you want followers. Also, as if I couldn’t get any more cliché, the most important thing is to stay true to your self. Because if there’s one reason why people are going to read your blog, it’s because you are you, and not pretending to be someone else.