This has been a banner year for fashion from the red carpet, to the runway, to the street. Through some ups and downs, trends emerged with some pretty fierce movements behind them that suggest we’ll be seeing a lot more of them in 2015. So, for auld lang syne and in the spirit of year-end lists we’ve rounded up our top 10 favorite moments from 2014. Now, we’re off to pop some bottles. Cheers to the New Year everyone!
1. ATHLEISURE Suddenly it was okay to go to lunch in your workout gear. Dare we say, stylish even. From health goths to the return of Stan Smiths, this trend has a pretty vast spectrum that even the skeptics can get into.
2. FKA TWIGS Tahliah ‘Twigs’ Barnett won us over with her R&B debut album this year, and her choice in boyfriends (team Edward forever), but her eclectic style has us wanting more.
3. CARA DELEVINGNE Just when we thought the era of the It-girl was on it’s way out, this bushy browed wild child warms our hearts with the bacon tattoo and hilarious selfies.
4. NORMCORE What began as a street style movement marked by stone wash jeans, sneakers and sweatshirts, the idea of stylized blandness made a serious impression this year. A return to easy basics that don’t try too hard? We can’t be mad at that.
5. KIMYE Okay, no matter what your opinion on Kanye West and Kim Kardashian, they kind of dominated the media this year and you have to admit it’s pretty rad when these guys hit the red carpet together. Remember when they had matching cleavage at Paris Fashion Week? Priceless.
6. FREE THE NIPPLE From Kylie Jenner on the runway to topless selfies, there was a ton of support for the women’s equality movement “Free the Nipple” this year. Whether you’re willing to bare all or just go braless, the spotlight on ta tas shows no sign of dimming.
7. PHARRELL’S HAT Pharrell Williams rocked a rather large Vivienne Westwood hat earlier this year at the Grammy’s and we kind of lost it. Just too good for words. Now it has its own Twitter feed.
8. WEDDING ONE-UPS There were some stunnnnning brides and grooms this year from George Clooney and Amal Alamuddin to Brangelina, but Solange Knowles pretty much won the whole year with her wedding of hipster dreams to Alan Ferguson.
9. DESIGNER DEPARTURES We said some sad goodbyes this year with the passing of the legendary Oscar de la Renta and untimely death of L’Wren Scott. They led more than just the red carpet, each of them had a perspective on elegance that we’ll be hard pressed to find again.
10. MOM JEANS And finally, it looks as though we’re nearing the end of the era of the skinny jean. Denim sales reportedly went down overall, but a soft stone wash and relaxed fit is looking better than ever.
What were your most memorable moments in 2014?