Wren Boutique owner Erin Norgan always makes sure her store is stocked with pretty things. With Audrey Hepburn, Coco Chanel and Lou Doillon as style icons, how could she not? So we had to ask her about what she likes most about being a buyer. Of course, we loved her answer.
"…seeing my assortment vision come together towards the start of a season."
TELL US WHAT YOU LIKE THE MOST ABOUT BEING A BUYER. Buying is filled with a wide variety of both analytical and creative work that makes it very dynamic. The ability to travel to trade shows and visit with designers keeps me connected to the ‘creative pulse’ of the industry, whereas a very systematic approach is required when developing a new merchandise plan. For me, one of the most rewarding aspects about buying is seeing my assortment vision come together towards the start of a season. As I have the unique advantage of being able to hand-pick everything brought into the boutique, a good portion of my procurement process is spent instinctively visual merchandising. It’s always gratifying to see this creative process fully materialize into a cohesive collection.
THE OWNER: ERIN NORGAN
- YOUR GO-TO OUTFIT: I’m a creature of comfort and live a fairly laid back island lifestyle, so I’d have to admit to a too frequent habit of opting for over-sized sweaters paired with skinny jeans or leggings and my Rag & Bone ankle boots. Just for the record though, I do not condone leggings as a suitable alternative to pants.
- ONE THING YOU CAN’T LIVE WITHOUT: The ocean. Oh, and I’m one of those 10 hours of sleep a night people. Guess that’s two things.
- FAVORITE DESIGNER: Forever evolving. Clare Waight Keller for Chloé has been impressing me lately…as has Alexander Wang for Balenciaga.
- SOMETHING YOU ALWAYS CARRY WITH YOU: Love to answer that with something really chic, but I’d have to say a tinted Clinique lipgloss and iPhone are the staples.
- STYLE ICON: Just one?! Audrey Hepburn, Coco Chanel and Katharine Hepburn each had an understated traditional elegance that I’ve always deeply admired and I adore that effortless ‘je ne sais quoi’ done so well by the French. Lou Doillon and older half-sister Charlotte Gainsbourg are perfect examples of that look. I also grew up in the ’80s, so probably best to throw a little bit of Madonna in the mix.
THE STORE: WREN
- TOP 3 SELLING BRANDS: Valérie Dumaine, Mackage and Stewart & Brown.
- SOMETHING YOUR BOUTIQUE IS KNOWN FOR: Quality, sustainability and ease of wear are all things that are extremely important to us. We focus on carrying a majority of unique and independent Canadian designs and also offer a personalized style consulting service for our clients. Hopefully we’re becoming known for all of these things. 🙂
- WHAT’S PLAYING ON THE SPEAKERS? Songza Playlists, typically. At the moment it’s Drakkar Noir by Phoenix.
- SOMETHING YOU’RE CONSTANTLY RE-STOCKING: Butter London nail lacquers and soy candles from Linnea’s Lights. Both make amazing gifts.
- YOUR STORE IN 3 WORDS: Contemporary. Uncomplicated. Timeless.